Dear Family of Christ,
I write this letter missing all of your smiling faces and being physically together as a community of believers. After closing in-person worship services in March, I am grateful that I write to you today sharing our plans for re-opening. I am thankful to Pastor Chad, the Board of Elders, and the Church Council for developing this plan and thinking through the wide range of perspectives, preferences, and guidelines that we needed to consider to develop this plan.
Thank you to everyone who completed the survey. It told us that 60% of respondents wished to return to in-person worship as soon as possible. The remainder prefers to wait and use on-line options for a longer period. Family of Christ will continue to have on-line service recordings and will start in-person worship on Sunday May 31.
In-person worship services will look different and we want to be as clear as possible about what you can expect at church and what is being asked of worshippers.
- Two weekly service times (There is NO Wednesday evening service)
- Sunday 9:30 am - Indoor
- Sunday 6:00 pm - Outdoor, weather permitting.
- Each service will be limited to 40 people.
- Sign-up for worship. Sign-up online or by calling the church office. The on-line sign-up link will be on the church website and in weekly email announcements.
- Worshippers are requested to wear masks. A limited number of masks will be available if needed. Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Worshippers who feel ill or have any COVID-19 symptoms are asked to stay home. If after attending a service, you become ill, please contact the church office.
- Worship services will be conducted using familiar formats (liturgy). Worship music will be instrumental, no singing.
- Screens will be used instead of paper bulletins.
- Offerings will be placed in a basket near the sanctuary doors.
- Worshippers will be ushered to and from seats. Families from the same household may sit together.
- Communion will be continuous. Communion servers will wear masks and gloves.
- Socializing before and after the service may be done outside.
- Sunday Bible Study will be conducted after the service - in the outdoor worship area, weather permitting - or in the Fellowship Hall with physical distance.
- We will be asking for volunteers to wipe-down and sanitize surfaces following indoor services. 2-4 people are needed and can sign up when registering for worship.
Our aim is to return to gathering together in the fellowship of other believers to hear the word of God and take communion together, while taking care to honor our brothers and sisters in Christ and not harm them in their bodies. I wholly recognize that this isn’t the ‘normal’ way we worship and that reading through this list may elicit many different emotions. I know the prospect of returning to worship without singing brought tears of sadness to my eyes. But I am longing to be with others to hear God’s word preached and I choose to focus on the parts of the worship service that we will be able to experience together.
Regarding other events at church, the decision was made to not hold Vacation Bible School this summer. The Council will also hold off on having fellowship events together until we learn more. We do encourage members to use the wonderful gardens, prayer path, and outdoor spaces at church. Being in the Lord’s creation is so good for us in body, mind, and spirit. Try using these instead of the parking lot to socialize after church. We will trust you to keep your distance. We fully expect that as we conduct in-person services that we will learn and adjust. We kindly ask for your adaptability as we progress. Please continue to share your perspectives with Pastor, the Elders, or any Council member. Just as so many things have changed over the last 2 months, we will continue to look for ways to serve the needs of our congregation and community.
Philippians 4:8 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
In Christ’s Love,
Becky Volovsek - Church President
Service Sign-Up for Sunday, June 14, 2020
To sign up for the 9:30am service, please click on the link below.
To sign up for the 6:00pm service, please click on the link below: